03 June 2007

Old

Being old--how much you understand about this phase in life? How old is old? I think it depends on individual well-being and mentality on this, I mean you are free to define OLD in the biological or psychological aspect. But, don't ever use "old" as an excuse for your intentions, ya I mean selfish intentions.

Case #1:

I was travelling in the MRT that day; it was freaking crowded. I was standing in the cabin some where near the door and holding the hanger to balance myself. An old lady came in, she squeezed herself forcefully in to where I was standing; and without asking my permission, she grabbed the hanger which I was holding! She flashed out a smile and grabbed the hanger even more tightly, as if she thought she had the rights to snatch the hanger from me. None a word of "thank-you" or "sorry". I was bewildered by her action, and irritated by that smile. Being Old don't give you the reason to be ungracious.

Case #2:

I was queuing in a line to get my lunch. It had reached my turn and I placed my order and waited for my pack. There were about 4 people behind me waiting in the queue. Then it came an elderly woman, in 50s I think. She dressed well, I mean from a glance you could tell she had not been slogged in her early years. She cut the queue and made her long list of order. I was disgusted by this and also I was annoyed that the shop owner didn't ask her to queue. Hey, being old and rich don't mean you have the reasons to be over-bearing.

I'm not trying to be self-righteous and I know some day I'll be old. Is it really true that life experiences will mould a person to behave in certain way when they grow old? Can a person's integrity and faith surpass all negative thoughts and feelings; and strongly refused to be buried in self-pity?

Let's live till old age in grace and in faith...